DCI-Iraq joined the DCI federation and became a registered, non-governmental organization (NGO) in 2005. It fosters understanding of and commitment to all human rights, including children’s rights and works with civic and political institutions to establish an Iraqi society that supports this mission.
Beyond training and educating children about their rights, DCI-Iraq, working alone and with partners, implements programs for change in the following key areas:
- expanding demand for human rights principles;
- building awareness of democratic processes within the community and supporting fair and transparent regional and national elections
- increasing Iraqi NGOs’ capacity for promoting human and, especially, children’s rights
- fighting all forms of violence, discrimination and sectarianism;
- ending violence against women and girls;
- improving basic health care knowledge